Friday, January 14, 2011

Morning Sickness

I am 7 weeks pregnant with our 12th child.  At almost 43 yrs old, I consider the nausea to be a good sign since I keep hearing of women my age miscarrying.  But it's still hard to keep going when I feel so yucky.

I've experienced morning sickness with every pregnancy, but other than the time I had the flu at this stage, I've never thrown up so I know this isn't nearly as bad as other women get.

I've found a couple of aids so far.  We went on a long drive to go meet our first grandson.  Each time I'd start to feel nauseous I'd fall asleep.  When I woke up, the nausea had passed.  So sleep is apparently a good help.  This was the ONLY day out of 12 pregnancies that this was a possibility though.  Life doesn't let many people just doze off and on all day.

I know that peppermint is supposed to be good for upset stomachs.  So I bought some Altoid mints.  The curiously strong ones.  I LOVE mints, but these aren't my favorite.  They're so strong they hurt my tongue.  In other pregnancies I tried mint candy and mint gum and they work okay and taste good.  The Altoids are working great so far.  Why does it have to be the one I don't care as much for?  But relief is relief.

I will say, nothing seems to take the nausea away completely.  This just helps it be more tolerable.  Ginger is supposed to work well, too, but I haven't tried it yet.  Maybe I'll make some ginger tea this weekend and see how that works.  I'll keep you posted if I find anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment